Full job description
Change the story. Change the world.
At FrameWorks UK, we collaborate with charities and other mission-driven organisations to help them communicate about social issues in ways that will create change.
Our framing research shows how people understand social issues. We use this knowledge to develop and test communications strategies to help organisations reframe their issue and create social change in areas like early childhood development, poverty, homelessness, and health inequality.
FrameWorks UK was formally established in January this year, but we’ve been working in the UK since 2012. We are a not-for-profit organisation and we are the sister organisation of the FrameWorks Institute in the US established over 20 years ago.
After a successful start, we’re seeking to appoint a Senior Communications Strategist, to join our small, high performing team.
FrameWorks UK is led by Executive Director, Kate Stanley; our Director of Impact is Maria Castellina, our Principal Communications Strategist is Tamsyn Hyatt, and we are currently recruiting for a Communications and Project Executive.
Please do read more about us and our work at www.frameworksinstitute.org/uk and @UK_FrameWorks and see our ‘strategy map’ at the end of this role description.
The role is full time (though we are open to reduced hours and flexible working) and the salary is £45,000-50,000 per annum plus a 6% employer pension contribution. The team is based in a London office, and there is flexibility to work from other places at times.
The primary purpose of the role is to lead the delivery of FrameWorks UK projects so that we can achieve our vision to bring about change through framing research and support to use that research in communications practice.
- Turn FrameWorks’ research findings into products such as briefs, communications toolkits, and other resources that help partners and others to use FrameWorks’ research findings and recommendations.
- Lead and participate in the design and delivery of face-to-face and virtual training for diverse communicators on FrameWorks research and its application.
- Review and revise partner communications to reflect research-based framing recommendations.
- Design and develop mobilisation strategies to support charities to roll-out well-framed communications.
- Lead the delivery of FrameWorks projects. This will involve working with our research colleagues in the US, managing partner relationships and engaging other organisations in the sector. It will also involve developing and delivering plans to turn our research into practical strategic communications. Our programme includes projects on children and families; homes; poverty; and health.
- Develop new projects and partner relationships including writing new project proposals.
- Contribute to the organisational culture and development of FrameWorks UK and contribute to on-going positive collaboration with colleagues in the US, and development and oversight of our external communications strategy.
- Represent the organisation, positively and professionally, in a range of meetings and events.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with an ability to coach and inspire especially as a confident presenter and engaging speaker.
- Demonstrable ability to absorb and apply FrameWorks’ research and recommendations for use by policy, practice and communications audiences.
- Evidence of excellent project and relationship management skills.
- Professional, enthusiastic, entrepreneurial, ‘can do’ attitude.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and individually, at pace and across multiple different projects concurrently.
- Commitment to our mission and values.
- At least 3-5 years’ communications experience in a not-for-profit organisation or other relevant field such as campaigning, digital mobilisation, community organising, or journalism.
- Demonstrable experience of using communications to influence real-world change.
- Degree level education.
Please send a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the person specification to email@example.com by midnight on 27th September 2021. If you have any queries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The FrameWorks Institute is a nonprofit think tank that helps mission-driven organizations communicate in ways that build public will to support progressive change.
It applies rigorous social science methods to study how people understand social issues and develops evidence-based techniques for explaining those issues more effectively. Since 1999, it has conducted pioneering research on effectively communicating a wide variety of scientific and social issues, such as early childhood development, climate change and immigration.
In 2015, it was named one of nine organizations worldwide to receive the MacArthur Foundation’s Award for Creative and Effective Institutions. Learn more at www.frameworksinstitute.org.