Full job description
FrameWorks is an action-oriented think tank for progressive movements.
We conduct cutting edge social science research to understand how to change the way people think, feel, and act and engage with partners who can mobilize this research to build power around progressive solutions.
We believe framing is critical to making cultural and systemic change. That’s why we’re building a unique, integrated team of multidisciplinary researchers and real-world changemakers.
This is an exciting time to join FrameWorks. And we want you to be a part of it.
About the position: Senior Strategist
We recently completed an impact assessment and outlined a vision as well as action plans and next steps to get there. We’re seeking an entrepreneurial communications professional who can help us move forward and bring the vision to life.
On behalf of the progressive movements we serve, the Senior Strategist will support communicators and other advocates to shift public discourse, influence culture, advance social norms, seed policy change, or otherwise build power around progressive solutions through framing research and strategies.
The Senior Strategist will provide framing support to different groups and engage advocates across progressive movements. The position will help FrameWorks further develop and innovate its practice of mobilizing frames in the fields of economic justice, health equity, children and families, and other targeted movements.
The ideal candidate is someone who has strong applied communications skills and demonstrated experience implementing communications programs or campaigns for nonprofits; has experience successfully building ongoing relationships with partners; is intellectually curious, creative, innovative, insightful, and informed about contemporary social movements and policy issues; and is committed to advancing inclusion and equity.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. The position can require up to 20% travel under standard circumstances. (Due to Covid, all presentations, workshops and other engagements will be conducted virtually until at least the beginning of 2022.)
- Support engagements with partners in applying framing recommendations in communications, narrative efforts, storytelling, and campaigns
- Assist in the execution of FrameWorks’ own communications and marketing efforts. This will likely include:
- implementing marketing- or partnership-building events
- conducting targeted press and partner outreach to increase FrameWorks’ positioning among target audiences
- carrying out social media programs and campaigns
- Work with partners to develop guides for framing, narrative, and messaging as well as other products to inform relevant movements how to leverage research findings to build power around their solutions
- Collaborate with research colleagues to ensure framing research and recommendations are resonant with and useful for partners in the field
- Lead or participate in the design and delivery of face-to-face and virtual trainings for various communicators on FrameWorks research and its application
- Write strategic briefs in a variety of formats and styles suitable for different audiences.
- Develop deep knowledge of Strategic Frame Analysis®
- Commitment to FrameWorks’ mission, including organizational commitments to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to learn from and interpret FrameWorks’ research and recommendations
- Ability to work with partners to translate FrameWorks’ research and recommendations into movement-building, narrative, storytelling, or communications strategies
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative, multidisciplinary, partner-oriented team
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills; ability to thrive in a fast-paced organization and get things done; strategic and practical judgment to move work forward; flexibility and ability to adapt to changing needs
The ideal candidate will possess:
- At least 4 years of combined education and professional experience in communications, engagement and mobilization work with a progressive nonprofit social change organization or movement, preferably working in the economic justice, health equity, or children and families fields
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is a plus: applied communications, engagement with communications and framing research, media relations, narrative-based initiatives, campaign development or execution, and development of compelling products or content for use by advocates
- Proficiency in communicating around issues related to racial equity, and demonstrated ability to integrate principles of equity, justice, and inclusion into daily work
- Demonstrated success in managing relationships with partners, coalition members, or clients in a nonprofit, campaign, or movement setting
- Rapid response experience, either in an earned or digital media environment, is a plus
- Experience working collaboratively on a diverse team
Salary: $85,000, depending on experience
Please submit the following materials to email@example.com, using the subject header line Senior Strategist 2021:
- Resume or CV with complete employment history and educational background
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position, its relevance to your career goals and past experience, as well as where and how equity and social justice fit into your professional and/or academic experiences
- Up to three writing samples such as strategy briefs, campaign briefs, recordings of presentations, communication plans, reports, and articles in a mix of styles, genres, and audiences
Review of all applications will begin immediately and continue until the search process concludes. Please check FrameWorks’ website (www.frameworksinstitute.org) to ensure that the position is still available before applying. No solicitations, please.
FrameWorks Institute is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Interested individuals who are BIPOC, women, persons with disabilities, and people who identify as LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply.
The FrameWorks Institute is a nonprofit think tank that helps mission-driven organizations communicate in ways that build public will to support progressive change.
It applies rigorous social science methods to study how people understand social issues and develops evidence-based techniques for explaining those issues more effectively. Since 1999, it has conducted pioneering research on effectively communicating a wide variety of scientific and social issues, such as early childhood development, climate change and immigration.
In 2015, it was named one of nine organizations worldwide to receive the MacArthur Foundation’s Award for Creative and Effective Institutions. Learn more at www.frameworksinstitute.org.