Full job description
The FrameWorks Institute is an action-oriented think tank for progressive movements.
We conduct cutting-edge social science research to understand how to change the way people think, feel, and act. We engage with partners who can mobilize this research to build power around progressive solutions.
We believe framing is critical to making cultural and systemic change. That’s why we’re building a unique, integrated team of multidisciplinary researchers and real-world change-makers.
This is an exciting time to join FrameWorks. And we want you to be a part of it.
About the position: Senior Writer/Editor
The Senior Writer/Editor will work with researchers to create products that effectively translate findings from FrameWorks research. The Senior Writer/Editor will collaborate with other staff in creating written products that enable communicators to understand FrameWorks’ research and use frames to shift public discourse, influence culture, and seed policy change around progressive solutions.
Through reports, briefs and other written materials, the Senior Writer/Editor will play a key role in advancing framing research recommendations and supporting advocates across progressive movements. The position will help FrameWorks further develop and innovate its written research products for the fields of economic justice, health equity, children and families, and other targeted movements. The Senior Writer/Editor will be part of FrameWorks’ research unit and will report to the Senior Vice President for Research, but will sometimes work on research-related products for other teams as well.
We’re seeking a seasoned, entrepreneurial writer who can help us move forward and bring to life our vision of using framing research for change. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and editing skills and demonstrated experience in science translation or technical writing; have experience working with social science researchers; be intellectually curious, creative, innovative, insightful, and informed about contemporary movements and social policy issues; have some familiarity with theories or research about culture and/or framing; and be committed to principles of inclusion and advancing equity.
This full-time position will work remotely on a temporary basis due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In the future, the position will be based in FrameWorks’ Washington DC office, with some options for working from home available.
- Collaborate with FrameWorks researchers and strategists to translate research findings and recommendations into high quality written materials in a variety of formats
- Work with colleagues to ensure that materials produced are useful and accessible to partners in the field
- Develop a thorough understanding and working knowledge of Strategic Frame Analysis®
- Ensure all written materials are consistent with FrameWorks’ Style Guide and branding strategy
- Coordinate with the communications team managing the design and production of written materials to ensure quality control over final products
- Commitment to FrameWorks’ mission as well as equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Outstanding writing and editing skills and experience in a science or technical setting
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to absorb and shape FrameWorks’ research and recommendations into written materials accessible to partners and wider audiences
- Ability to effectively work independently and as part of a collaborative, multidisciplinary, partner-oriented team
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills; ability to thrive in a fast-paced organization and get things done; strategic and practical judgment to move work forward; flexibility and ability to adapt to changing needs
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in research communication or other types of technical writing and editing, preferably working in the fields of economic justice, health equity, or children and families
- Experience with the following is a major plus: working with social science researchers or in a progressive nonprofit organization setting
- Demonstrated success in creating high quality written materials that effectively and accessibly communicate complex concepts and findings to intended audiences
- Expertise in communicating issues related to racial equity and a demonstrated ability to integrate principles of equity, justice, and inclusion into daily work
- Experience working collaboratively on a diverse team
Salary: $90,000, depending on experience
Please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject header line Senior Writer/Editor 2021:
- Resume or CV with complete employment history and educational background
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position, its relevance to your career goals and past experience, as well as where and how equity and social justice fit into your professional and/or academic experiences
- Up to three writing samples, such as reports, briefs, and articles, that demonstrate your science translation or technical writing skills
Review of all applications will begin immediately and continue until the search process concludes. Please check FrameWorks’ website (www.frameworksinstitute.org) to ensure that the position is still available before applying. No solicitations, please.
FrameWorks Institute is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Interested individuals who are BIPOC, women, persons with disabilities, and people who identify as LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply.
The FrameWorks Institute is a nonprofit think tank that helps mission-driven organizations communicate in ways that build public will to support progressive change.
It applies rigorous social science methods to study how people understand social issues and develops evidence-based techniques for explaining those issues more effectively. Since 1999, it has conducted pioneering research on effectively communicating a wide variety of scientific and social issues, such as early childhood development, climate change and immigration.
In 2015, it was named one of nine organizations worldwide to receive the MacArthur Foundation’s Award for Creative and Effective Institutions. Learn more at www.frameworksinstitute.org.